Two Residential Directors (RDs) are hired and assigned to oversee specific Pre-Collegiate Studies programs. RDs supervise the residential experience of the summer programs to assure a safe, enjoyable experience for all participants and staff. While each RD will have responsibility for different programs, the Residential Directors will work closely together to provide a consistent residential experience for all staff and participants. RDs receive professional oversight from the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies full-time staff and supervise up to three ARDs. RDs live on campus and are a crucial liaison between parents and the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies main office, making themselves available to answer questions and resolve problems. This is a fixed-term, full-time position with substantial on-call duties running from mid-June to mid-August 2018.
Responsibilities of the Residential Director position include:
- Providing regular feedback about the residential staff and participants to the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies full-time staff.
- Resolving higher-level participant issues and ensures all problems are promptly addressed.
- Serving as liaisons with other offices on the Stanford campus, such as Housing, Dining, and Conference Services.
- Monitoring the work of all residential staff, and working closely with the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies full-time staff to mediate and resolve staff issues.
- Assisting with the training of the residential staff and providing guidance and leadership on Arrival and Departure Days.
- Monitoring incident reports and ensuring all incidents are properly documented, including medical emergencies and disciplinary situations.
- Ensuring that program rules and the Code of Conduct are adhered to at all times by participants and staff.
- Maintaining a strong presence within the program – regularly visiting the residences, attending program events, and building relationships with residential staff and participants is essential to being successful in the role.
- Fostering and promoting an inclusive environment for all participants, staff, and SPCS community members.
- Guiding participants in educational initiatives centered around individual development, wellness, community engagement, and inclusion.
- Must be available for mandatory training June 18–June 22, 2018.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Student Affairs or related field strongly preferred
- Minimum three years of experience in Residential Life at the high school or college level required; five years or more preferred
- Relevant experience includes Resident Assistant, student programming, boarding school supervision, teacher, etc.
- Experience working with academically motivated students, preferably in an intensive residential setting
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience in an educational setting
- Flexibility and willingness to work long hours
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor at all times when dealing with staff, participants, and parents
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Applicants must be available for at least an entire program (for example, both Session One and Session Two of Summer Institutes), though the preference is for two successful candidates to ensure availability is met for all programs listed below
The compensation for the Residential Director position is $1,980/week plus a full room and board package. This position is exempt.
Programs & Dates
Two Residential Directors are hired and assigned to oversee specific Pre-Collegiate Studies programs.
Dates for the 2018 Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies programs are:
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate Summer Institutes | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford Summer Humanities Institute | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford Summer Arts Institute | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford AI4ALL | June 25–July 13, 2018
- Stanford Medical Youth Science Program (SMYSP) | June 24–July 28, 2018
- Stanford University Mathematics Camp (SUMaC) | July 16–August 11, 2018
- Stanford Online High School Summer Program | August 8–August 21, 2018
- Stanford Online High School (OHS) Middle School Summer Program | August 8–August 16, 2018
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate International Institutes | June 25–August 19, 2018
We are currently accepting applications for this position.