Supervised by the Assistant Residential Directors, HCs assume a higher level of responsibility in supervising participants with issues such as health, discipline, and all other aspects of participants’ residential life. HCs supervise and manage the other Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies staff in their designated residence.
Responsibilities of the Head Counselor position include:
- Acting as the residence’s primary liaison with parents, Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies staff, and other University offices.
- Establishing community norms and ground rules.
- Leading meetings with both participants and staff.
- Serving as a role model for responsible behavior, work ethic, and integrity.
- Completing administrative tasks in a timely and efficient manner, including coordinating staff schedules, approving timecards, and ensuring staff members work together effectively as a team.
- Holding house staff accountable to the completion of their assigned duties.
- Fostering and promoting an inclusive environment for all participants, staff, and SPCS community members.
- Guiding participants in educational initiatives centered around individual development, wellness, community engagement, and inclusion.
- Proven leadership and team-building ability
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience with, and interest in, administrative responsibilities
- Comfort with supervising others, including enforcing rules, solving problems, making decisions, and mediating conflict
- Previous summer camp/program counseling experience, preferably with Pre-Collegiate Studies or similar program, desired
- Experience as a Residential Assistant, or other residential leadership experience, desired
- A valid driver's license and clean driving record, desired
- Availability for mandatory training before the program begins:
- For programs beginning in June, training is June 18–June 22, 2018.
- For SUMaC, training is July 11–14, 2018.
- For International Institutes Session 4 (which will need additional counselors), training is August 1–3 and August 6, 2018.
- Availability for an entire program (for example, both Session 1 and Session 2 of Summer Institutes)
The standard compensation for Head Counselors is $1,420/week plus a full room and board package. This position is exempt.
Programs & Dates
Programs in need of Head Counselors:
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate Summer Institutes | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford Summer Humanities Institute | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford Summer Arts Institute | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford AI4ALL | June 25–July 13, 2018
- Stanford University Mathematics Camp (SUMaC) | July 16–August 11, 2018
- Stanford Online High School Summer Program | August 8–August 21, 2018
- Stanford Online High School (OHS) Middle School Summer Program | August 8–August 16, 2018
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate International Institutes | June 25–August 19, 2018
We are currently accepting applications for this position. The hiring process for Head Counselors is as follows: We will first hire Residential Counselors with appropriate coursework and interests for a particular program. In May, we will hold second round interviews for candidates interested in the Head Counselor positions.