Two Residential Directors (RDs) are hired and assigned to oversee specific Pre-Collegiate Studies programs. RDs supervise the residential experience of the summer programs to assure a safe, enjoyable experience for all participants and staff. While each RD will have responsibility for different programs, the Residential Directors will work closely together to provide a consistent residential experience for all staff and participants. RDs receive professional oversight from the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies full-time staff and supervise up to three ARDs. RDs live on campus and are a crucial liaison between parents and the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies main office, making themselves available to answer questions and resolve problems. This is a fixed-term, full-time position with substantial on-call duties running from mid-June to mid-August 2018.
Responsibilities of the Residential Director position include:
- Providing regular feedback about the residential staff and participants to the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies full-time staff.
- Resolving higher-level participant issues and ensures all problems are promptly addressed.
- Serving as liaisons with other offices on the Stanford campus, such as Housing, Dining, and Conference Services.
- Monitoring the work of all residential staff, and working closely with the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies full-time staff to mediate and resolve staff issues.
- Assisting with the training of the residential staff and providing guidance and leadership on Arrival and Departure Days.
- Monitoring incident reports and ensuring all incidents are properly documented, including medical emergencies and disciplinary situations.
- Ensuring that program rules and the Code of Conduct are adhered to at all times by participants and staff.
- Maintaining a strong presence within the program – regularly visiting the residences, attending program events, and building relationships with residential staff and participants is essential to being successful in the role.
- Fostering and promoting an inclusive environment for all participants, staff, and SPCS community members.
- Guiding participants in educational initiatives centered around individual development, wellness, community engagement, and inclusion.
- Must be available for mandatory training June 18–June 22, 2018.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Student Affairs or related field strongly preferred
- Minimum three years of experience in Residential Life at the high school or college level required; five years or more preferred
- Relevant experience includes Resident Assistant, student programming, boarding school supervision, teacher, etc.
- Experience working with academically motivated students, preferably in an intensive residential setting
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience in an educational setting
- Flexibility and willingness to work long hours
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor at all times when dealing with staff, participants, and parents
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Applicants must be available for at least an entire program (for example, both Session 1 and Session 2 of Summer Institutes), though the preference is for two successful candidates to ensure availability is met for all programs listed below
The compensation for the Residential Director position is $1,980/week plus a full room and board package. This position is exempt.
Programs & Dates
Two Residential Directors are hired and assigned to oversee specific Pre-Collegiate Studies programs.
Dates for the 2018 Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies programs are:
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate Summer Institutes | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford Summer Humanities Institute | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford Summer Arts Institute | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford AI4ALL | June 25–July 13, 2018
- Stanford Medical Youth Science Program (SMYSP) | June 24–July 28, 2018
- Stanford University Mathematics Camp (SUMaC) | July 16–August 11, 2018
- Stanford Online High School Summer Program | August 8–August 21, 2018
- Stanford Online High School (OHS) Middle School Summer Program | August 8–August 16, 2018
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate International Institutes | June 25–August 19, 2018
The priority application deadline for this position is January 23, 2018, though we will continue to review applications past this date as needed.