The Activities Manager supervises twelve Activities Coordinators to provide leadership for this team. Activities Coordinators work on teams of two or three, and each team plans daily events and activities for a group of three to five residences, known as a cluster. The Activities Manager brings organization and efficiency to the various yet similar plans happening across campus.
During the program, the Activities Manager maintains a strong presence throughout the program by attending events and activities, being available to field questions, listen to concerns, and mediate conflicts. The position requires a high level of responsibility, self-direction, management and problem-solving skills, good judgment, communication, organizational skills, professionalism, and discretion, as well as a good sense of humor. This is a full-time residential position and does not include an instructional academic component.
Responsibilities of the Activities Manager position include:
- Assisting with training and ongoing professional development of the twelve Activities Coordinators.
- Financially managing resources related to Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies programs activities and programming.
- Collaborating with the Assistant Residential Directors to set expectations and to build Activities Coordinator team morale in each cluster.
- Ensuring program policies, guidelines, and best practices are uniformly executed.
- Coordinating with the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies full-time staff and campus colleagues to ensure proper use of campus amenities.
- Providing residential support to the participants in the house of residence (e.g., being on duty, chaperoning field trips and events).
- Fostering and promoting an inclusive environment for all participants, staff, and SPCS community members.
- Guiding participants in educational initiatives centered around individual development, wellness, community engagement, and inclusion.
- At least one year of experience as a Residential Assistant, or comparable residential leadership experience, strongly preferred
- Previous summer camp/program experience or experience leading or managing student groups desirable
- Comfort with supervising others, including enforcing rules, solving problems, making decisions, and mediating conflict
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to delegate
- Enthusiasm, responsibility, and team-building skills
- Ability to maintain calmness under pressure
- Must attend one pre-summer meeting during spring quarter to meet the Activities Team and begin training (approximately two hours)
- Must be available for mandatory training June 18–June 22, 2018
- Applicants must be available for at least an entire program (for example, both Session One and Session Two of Summer Institutes), though the preference is for the successful candidate to work for all programs listed below
The standard compensation for the Activities Manager is $1,420/week plus a full room and board package. This position is exempt.
Programs & Dates
The ideal Activities Manager will work with the following Pre-Collegiate Studies programs:
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate Summer Institutes | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford Summer Humanities Institute | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford Summer Arts Institute | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford Online High School Summer Program | August 8–August 21, 2018
- Stanford Online High School (OHS) Middle School Summer Program | August 8–August 16, 2018
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate International Institutes | June 25–August 19, 2018
The application for the Activities Manager position is now closed.