Camp Nurses oversee the health and safety of all participants and must stay abreast of the latest developments in nursing to perform their duties to the best of their abilities. This role requires a high level of responsibility, self-direction, management and problem-solving skills, good judgment, communication, professionalism, and discretion. Camp Nurses receive professional oversight from the full-time Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies team. This can be a full-time (40 hours) or part-time (20 hours) position.
Responsibilities of the Camp Nurse position include:
- Assisting with training of residential staff and advising staff on how to handle the various medical needs of participants, both directly and by phone and e-mail.
- Reviewing medical forms of all participants before the program begins.
- Meeting with participants and their parents or guardians on Arrival Day to discuss participants' medical needs.
- Handling phone calls from parents and communicating closing with Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies main office to keep full-time staff informed of significant incidents.
- Fostering and promoting an inclusive environment for all participants, staff, and SPCS community members.
- Guiding participants in educational initiatives centered around individual development, wellness, community engagement, and inclusion.
- Must be at least a Registered Nurse (RN)
- Able to practice in the State of California
- Experience working with children and adolescents strongly preferred
- Flexible schedule to handle or advise others in medical emergencies
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally
- Ability to maintain calmness under pressure
- Applicants who can be available from June 18–mid/late August, 2018 preferred
- Must be available for mandatory training from June 19–June 22, 2018
Compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Programs & Dates
Camp Nurses work with all Pre-Collegiate Studies programs:
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate Summer Institutes | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford Summer Humanities Institute | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford Summer Arts Institute | June 25–August 4, 2018
- Stanford AI4ALL | June 25–July 13, 2018
- Stanford Medical Youth Science Program (SMYSP) | June 24–July 28, 2018
- Stanford University Mathematics Camp (SUMaC) | July 16–August 11, 2018
- Stanford Online High School Summer Program | August 8–August 21, 2018
- Stanford Online High School (OHS) Middle School Summer Program | August 8–August 16, 2018
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate International Institutes | June 25–August 19, 2018
The priority application deadline for this position is February 18, 2018, though we will continue to review applications past this date as needed.