Five Counselors are assigned to one house and provide supervision of participants for all program activities and residential experiences. Counselors also act as teaching assistants for an assigned course, providing instructional support in the academic portion of the program.
The main instructional role for Counselors takes place during a three-hour period in the early afternoon. During this time, RCs work closely with participants on their coursework, either in one-on-one sessions or in small groups. During the late afternoon and evening, Counselors lead recreational and social activities such as sports and games, arts and crafts, campus and local excursions, etc. Weekends include field trips and other organized activities, supervised by the Counselors. This is a full-time residential position.
Responsibilities of the RC position include:
- Tutoring participants with course content
- Attending class discussions and assisting with select in-class exercises and academic projects.
- Leading afternoon, evening, and weekend recreational and social activities
- Building strong and healthy residential learning communities that enhance participant academic progress and success
- Creating an atmosphere that fosters social growth as well as tolerance, cultural sensitivity, and understanding of individual differences
- Addressing the range of participant needs and taking appropriate action when participants are sick or injured
- Enforcing the rules and policies of the program to keep all participants safe
- Assisting with program set-up and closing, including Arrival and Departure Days
- Previous teaching or tutoring experience desirable
- Summer camp/program experience or experience working with high school students is also desirable
- Strong knowledge of many subjects, and a willingness to teach comprehensively
- Creative and positive attitude, and an enthusiasm for working with and high school students
- Adaptability and willingness to complete hard work
- Demonstrated responsibility and leadership skills
- Ability to make good decisions and enforce rules and policies
- A valid driver license and clean driving record is desirable
- Availability for mandatory training before the program begins on Tuesday, August 1, 2017.
- Availability for the entire program, August 3 – 17, 2017.
The standard compensation for Residential Counselors is approximately $875/week plus a full room and board package.
Programs & Dates
The Stanford Sports Business Academy summer dates are:
- Stanford Sports Business Academy | August 3 – August 17, 2017
Thank you for your interest. Applications are closed for Summer 2017.